Saturday, May 17, 2014

Gerstenkorn

Gersternkorn is German for Huck (Swedish) weaving.  One of my first stitching projects that I remember from elementary school in Germany was a buttoned pouch adorned with Gersternkorn embroidery.  Today we have few Swedish Weaving patterns available to us and Zweigart has discontinued their Huck fabric.  So imagine my surprise and pleasure upon my arrival at the Hobby & Crafts tradeshow in Germany back in March, the first booth I came across had fabric and patterns for Gerstenkorn.  I was completely enthralled.  Their patterns are very attractive and specifically designed for tablecloths, table runners, and pillows.

When my order from the show arrived this past week, I just had to pick out a table runner for myself.  The fabric is 16" wide and I cut myself a 60" length.  The pattern I choose requires four shades and my colour selection for the threads, with no surprise to some of you, are DMC 924, 926, 927 and 3072.

Huck embroidery works up quickly, and over the holiday weekend, I hope to have enough time to finish this table runner.
These patterns, and fabrics can be found on Gitta's website.  Click here to visit the Swedish weaving page.

No comments:

Post a Comment